Career Options: - Commerce Courses without Maths
Commerce group stream has – Management, Law, Accountancy, Cost Accounting, Banking, Insurance etc. It is common to see 10th passed students taking up Commerce stream for 11th and 12th PUC schooling. It is safe to say that commerce courses are excellent foundation programs. After completing a Commerce-based course, one may go on and pursue rewarding PG programs such as MBA, Law, PG Diploma courses etc.
COMMERCE WITHOUT MATHS: REASONS
After completing 10th standard, it is common to see students taking up commerce without maths! Some of the reasons for this are:-
For many students, mathematics is not their strong subject! So when they get an option to drop the subject, they readily drop it! Some students are just not interested in mathematics! They hardly like playing with numbers! Others want to build careers in areas that don’t compulsorily require mathematics – such as management, law, accounting etc. As a result, they simply opt for commerce without maths! Let us see some of those courses one by one.
1. B.Com - 3 years long - Can be pursued without maths! Some of the specializations are:-
UG: B.Com. in IT, B.Com. in Banking and Insurance, B.Com. in Computer Application/Science, B.Com. in Banking and Finance, B.Com. in Retail Management, B.Com. in Foreign Trade.
PG: Masters or PG diploma: MBA and M.Com. are the most popular choices among B.Com. graduates. PG Diploma programs in Banking, Insurance, Investment Banking etc are also fairly popular among graduates.
2. BBA - Bachelor of Business Administration. This is 3 years long program and can be pursued without maths subject!
UG: BBA also has numerous specialization programs. Notable areas are – BBA in HR Management, BBA in Marketing, BBA in Finance, BBA in Operations, BBA in International Business, BBA in Foreign Trade, BBA in Family Business, BBA in Business Analytics, BBA in Event Management, BBA in Travel and Tourism Management, BBA in Hotel and Hospitality Management
PG: After completing BBA, you may go for Masters or PG Diploma programs. MBA is the most popular choice among BBA graduates. BBA graduates also have access to PGDM & Law programs.
3. LAW: A combination of commerce and law is good! After completing 12th commerce, you are eligible to pursue Integrated Law programs. Some of them are – B.Com. LLB, BBA LLB, BA LLB. Integrated law program combines an undergraduate Degree and LLB. After completing the course, graduates may go for relevant Master’s programs like – LLM and MBA.
4. BMS- Bachelor of Management Studies. a general management program. If you want to build a career in the management sector, this course will be of help to you! The academic program is 3 years long. After completing BMS, graduates may go for relevant Master’s and PG Diploma courses. MMS (Master of Management Studies) and MBA are the most popular choices among BMS graduates.
5. ACCOUNTANCY PROGRAMS: If you want to build a career in the accountancy sector, programs such as CA (Chartered Accountant) and CMA (Certified Management Accountant) will be of help to you. These programs don’t have mathematics as a requirement!
6. COMPANY SECRETARY: If you want to become a Company Secretary, this program will be of help to you! CS professionals are hired by companies, MNCs and businesses to fill managerial and senior posts! And CS program doesn’t have mathematics as a requirement!
7. BACHELOR OF FOREIGN TRADE (BFT): If you want to build a career in the foreign trade sector, this course will be of help to you. This is a 3 years program. It focuses on the aspects of foreign trade such as – Import, Export, Trade Policy, Logistics, Supply Chain Management. The other alternative programs are – BBA in International Business, B.Com. in Foreign Trade and BA in Foreign Trade.
8. BHM & OTHER HOTEL MANAGEMENT PROGRAMS (BHM): BHM is a job oriented hotel management program. This course is 3 years long. No maths is required. You may pursue this course after 12th Commerce without maths! This program will help you build a career in the hotel and hospitality management sector! Apart from BHM, some other good hotel management programs are – Bachelor of Hospitality and Catering Technology, BBA in Hotel Management, Bachelor of Food and Beverages Production, Bachelor of Catering Management, BA in Culinary Arts, B.Sc. in Hotel Management, BA in Hotel Management
9. TRAVEL & TOURISM COURSES: In India, there exist different types of travel and tourism courses (BA, B.Sc., BBA etc). Some of the notable courses in this field are – BBA in Travel and Tourism management, B.Sc. in Travel and Tourism Management, BA in Travel and Tourism, Bachelor of Travel and Hospitality Management, B.Sc. in Tourism and Hospitality Management. ALL THESE ARE 3 years long program.
10. EVENT MANAGEMENT COURSES: In India, there exist different types of event management courses (BA, B.Sc., BBA etc). Some of the notable courses are – BBA in Event Management, B.Sc. in Event Management, BA in Event Management, Bachelor of Event Management. Most of these academic programs are 3 years long.
11. RETAIL MANAGEMENT COURSES: In India, there exist different types of retail management courses (BA, B.Sc., BBA etc). Some of the notable courses are – BBA in Retail Management, B.Sc. in Retail Management, BA in Retail Management, Bachelor of Retail Management. Most of the programs are 3 years long.
12. BA PROGRAMS: Bachelor of Arts program is 3 years long and can be pursued without maths subject! There are numerous BA honors programs available in India. History, Economics, Languages, Politics, Journalism etc are some of the well-known honors programs.
13. JOURNALISM & MASS COMMUNICATION COURSES: Journalism and mass communication courses are (BA, B.Sc., BBA etc). Some of the notable specialization in this field are – BBA in Media Management, B.Sc. in Journalism & Mass Communication, BA in Journalism, Bachelor of Journalism & Mass Communication
14. DIPLOMA COURSES: Some of the notable Diploma courses for commerce students are – Diploma in Event Management, Diploma in Hotel Management, Diploma in Front Office Operations, Diploma in Food and Beverages Production, Diploma in Business Management, Diploma in Travel and Tourism Management
ARE THERE ARE AMPLE CAREER OPTIONS AVAILABLE AFTER COMMERCE WITHOUT MATHS?
The answer is yes! Management, law, hospitality, travel & tourism, general commerce, banking, insurance, foreign trade, journalism, accounting, animation, economics etc are some of the notable areas where you can build a career! A wise decision would be to pursue a good Bachelor’s Degree course. Diploma programs are job oriented, but they can only help you get entry-level jobs. Reputation and rating of the college you are studying in also plays a crucial role in determining the path of your career. If necessary, you may pursue a Bachelor’s Degree with a Master’s Degree. This will further boost your career prospects.
Best wishes & Regards,