After 10th results are out, there is one common question that strikes in every student’s mind “What next after 10th”? Science, Commerce or Arts? This is a common confusion which most of the students face. Every field has a lot of career opportunities but choosing the right stream which students are interested should be the main concern.
Sachin Tendulkar failed in 10th. But he was very clear what he wanted from his life.
But are we? Few students are very clear about what they want in their life. But there are many students who are confused about their career path. Class 10th is the most important and confusing crossroad of your career. A right decision can help you blossom in your career. And if you make the wrong choice, you will have to face the consequences for the rest of your life.
So how do you decide what to do after 10th?
Should you go for the standard science stream?
Should you go for commerce?
Or Should you take up the non-conventional arts stream?
Which board to opt for?
A lot of options but choosing the right career after 10th is very crucial. Career counselling with a trained career counsellor can help you solve your confusion. A career counsellor uses career assessment to derive a perfect career path for your future. Career assessment test analyses your skills, interest, abilities and based on that a clear roadmap is provided.
Career counselling for 10th class
According to CBSE, nearly 32 lakhs of students appeared for 10th board exams. That’s a huge number. But how many students are actually aware of what to do after 10th? Career counselling and career guidance for 10th class is the need of the hour. Students who are confused about their stream selection can go for career counselling. Career counselling for 10th class students is extremely important as today’s youth are tomorrow’s future.
“Padhega India tabhi toh badhega India.”
You can also read Career options after 12th.
Mistakes students make while choosing their career after 10th
1. Following the crowd/friends – This is one of the most common mistakes which most of the students unknowingly make. Many students just take up any stream because their friends have decided to take that stream. This can turn out to be the worst decision of their lives.
It is necessary that you chose the stream which you are most passionate about rather than doing what most of the students are doing.
2. Parental/Societal pressure – Let’s look at a common scenario.
You: Dad, I want to take up Arts stream.
Dad: There is no future in the Arts stream. You have to take up science. Look at Sharma Jis son. He had taken up science stream and he is doing very well in life.
I am sure many students would have faced this situation. I am sure, that many parents would have given the examples of some Sharma or Gupta to influence the decision of their child. This can lead to a flawed career decision.
It might look like that science stream is everything. But if you get proper career guidance from an expert (career counsellor), choosing a career path after 10th will be much easier.
3. Lack of knowledge – There are a plethora of career options after 10th. If we go back 10-20 years ago, there were very fewer career options to choose from. But now the scenario is completely different. There are many career options available and with the help of proper career guidance and career counselling, you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
You can also read Why is career counselling important in India?
Career Options After 10th
1. Science –
• Science is the most popular and favourite career option for the majority of the parents and students.
• Science stream offers many lucrative career options such as engineering, medical, IT and you can even opt for research roles.
• The best advantage of taking science stream is, it keeps your options open. You might switch from science to commerce or science to arts. But it is not possible to do the other way around.
• Taking science stream equips you with excellent problem-solving abilities.
• Science and math offer a flexible foundation which enables students to accomplish highly respected and well-paid jobs.
• Science is fun, amazing and fascinating. As Edward Teller rightly said
“The science of today is the technology of tomorrow.”
Who should take science after 10th?
If technology fascinates you and you have a flair for numbers, then taking science after 10th would be a wise option.
- You can opt for Physics, Chemistry, Maths (PCM).
- If you want to make a mark for yourself in the medical field, you can opt for Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Biology (PCM-B).
- Now there are many students who don’t like Maths. Either they are afraid of Maths or Maths doesn’t interest them. Don’t worry, if you want to become a doctor, then knowing Maths is not necessary. You can easily opt for Physics, Chemistry, Biology (PCB).
There are multiple career options available for science stream after 10th class. If you have any doubts regarding what after 10th you can visit www.edumilestones.com and get your career counselling done. Their career assessment test gives 92% accurate results.
It will really help you in choosing the right career stream.
2. Commerce –
• Commerce is the second most popular career option after science. If you love numbers, finances, economics etc., then finance is the best option for you.
• It offers a wider variety of career options such as Chartered Accountants, MBA, investment in banking sectors etc.
• You acquire commercial knowledge which is very important for the business.
• You have to be familiar with the subjects such as Accountancy, Finance, Economics etc.
• You must be good with numbers, data and have a curiosity in Finance, economics.
• Commerce as a subject is gaining popularity in India and many students are studying and making a living out of it.
Who should take commerce after 10th?
If you have an affinity for numbers, business, economics then commerce is the stream for you.
If you want to shape your career in economics and business world, then commerce is the right career for you.
There are a number of options available for commerce stream after 10th class. If you have any doubts regarding whether to opt for commerce stream you can choose the smartest way by getting your career counselling done from an expert. Proper career guidance after 10th class is extremely necessary for a hassle-free career. Edumilestones career assessment is considered to be the best by the industry experts. Their career assessment is tested on statistical methodologies and provides accurate and reliable results.
3. Arts/Humanities –
• Nowadays arts/humanities are very high in demand and more and more students are opting for it.
• Arts is now emerging as a sought after career choice. It provides students with an array of career opportunities.
• It offers many lucrative career options such as Journalism, languages, history, psychology etc.
• Design, Language Arts, Performing arts, Humanities are well-paid career options.
• Arts subject encourage creativity and self-expression.
• Students who take up art stream develop critical thinking. It also helps you increase your leadership qualities.
Art teaches you to deal with the world around you.
~ Alan Parker.
Who should take Arts after 10th?
If you are a student who is creative and wants to dive deep into humanity, then arts is the stream for you.
There are multiple options available for Arts stream after 10th class. If you have any confusion you can get your career counselling done. A career counsellor will provide you with proper career guidance and guide you in the right direction.
These are the few good career options which you can choose after 10th class.
What are the career options after 10th class?
Picking the right career option after 10th is probably the most important decision of your life and should not be taken in a hurry. Let us see how you can choose the right career path after 10th:
• Intermediate (2years) – After 10th class, the student can select subject groups like PCM, PCB, PCMB, Commerce with Maths, Commerce without Maths. Post completion of 12th class, one can do graduation in multiple disciplines based on the subject selection.
• Polytechnic – After 10th class, students can do polytechnic courses like Mechanical, Civil, Chemicals, Computer, Automobile. Polytechnic colleges offer diploma courses for a duration of 3 years, 2 years and also 1 year.
• ITI (Industrial Training Institutes) – After 10th class, students can do ITI courses for employment like Mechanical, electrician, electrical.
• Paramedical – After 10th class, students can do paramedic courses like DMLT (Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology), DOA(Diploma in Ophthalmic Assistant), DOT (Diploma in Ophthalmic Assistant).
• Short term courses – After 10th class, students can do short term courses like Tally, DTP, Graphics.
Right career advice and guidance at the right time can do wonders for you. It is very important to consult an expert in the field. A career counsellor can help you decide what to choose after 10th. An expert will assess and analyze your strength, passion and interest. Based on that the expert will determine your most suitable career path. Effective career counselling in India can do wonders for your future.
How to pick the education board? Should you go CBSE or ICSE or IB?
You have finished your 10th. Now you are planning to pick an education board which is most suitable for you and which will help skyrocket your career. Choosing between CBSE, ICSE and IB is not an easy option. Each education board has its own advantages. When it comes to having the best education, choosing the right board and school is very necessary. Let’s look at the perks of choosing any education board. It will be easier for you to decide which board to opt for.
Benefits of CBSE (Central Board of Secondary Education)
1. Probably the most popular education board and the national board of our country. CBSE has an integrated curricular approach which helps develop holistic individuals.
2. CBSE emphasizes on skill development.
3. CBSE helps students prepare for competitive exams as most of the questions in competitive exams are asked from NCERT.
4. Most of the competitive exams such as JEE mains and advanced are conducted by CBSE.
5. It imparts quality knowledge to the students as well as ensures the overall development of an individual.
6. The most important advantage of CBSE board is that it offers flexibility to choose the subjects based on student’s interest. The overall structure of CBSE is very compact and it doesn’t allow you to feel any pressure.
7. You don’t need to mug up the answer. Original and well-written answers are appreciated by the CBSE board giving students a chance to explore their thinking horizon.
Benefits of ICSE (Indian Certificate of Secondary Education)
1. ICSE is considered to be the toughest board. The curriculum of ICSE is very comprehensive and it encompasses all fields with equal importance.
2. ICSE students become naturally very good in English because of their in-depth curriculum.
3. It is no surprise that students who do well in ICSE are expected to clear the Civil service exam as the art of writing compactly in English is very much needed in Civil services.
4. The syllabus and structure of ICSE are in such a way that it enables students to look beyond textbooks and have practical insights into the concepts.
5. The standard and curriculum of ICSE gives the students a strong foundation and make them ready for their future.
6. Amount and content of syllabus might be high, but it also develops high knowledge among the students. You might have heard that what CBSE teaches you in 11th or 12th, ICSE board has already taught the concepts in 9th. Such impact and resourceful is ICSE’s curriculum.
Benefits of IB (International Baccalaureate)
1. If you are planning to study abroad then IB board can help you get admission abroad.
2. IB board helps you become more culturally aware.
3. It helps you to get Global Affiliation.
4. Their curriculum helps in the all-round development of a student.
5. IB board gives you the flexibility to select your own subjects.
These are the few advantages of the top education board. No board is the best. Every board has its own advantage. It totally depends on the aptitude of the student.
It is also important for a student to undergo career assessment for 10th class. Career assessment is used to understand the personality, interest and aptitude of the student. It is used to find out your most suitable subject group and career path. You can use the given link for career assessment test for 10th class. www.edumilestones.com.
All the best. Happy Learning. May you choose the career which you flourish.
You will also like
- Career options after 12th - Complete career guide 2020
- Best career options for arts students after 12th in India
- Top 7 New Age Career options -Generation 2020
- Career Counselling Guide India – Importance, benefits, best site
- Why is career counselling important in India?